Monday, September 15, 2014

First Birthday Inspiration & Preparation

Life has been only slightly crazier than normal lately with me starting a new job, my thirtieth birthday (and a flood of mixed emotions) looming on the horizon, and Taylor's rapidly-approaching first birthday. Being the perfectionist that I am, I began planning this party back when the snow was still melting (which, in my defense, wasn't that long ago thanks to the insanely long winter we had here in the Midwest). I knew right away I didn't want to do a typical theme party (the kind where you go to Party City and shell out $500 on matching character plates, cups & napkins), so I consumed myself in Pinterest every chance I could get, devouring one DIY idea after another. After all, a child only gets one first birthday, and I want to ensure it's one that this sweet face deserves.


Not long into my search, I came across this spectacular petal cake and, being the optimist that I am, immediately assumed I could make one. Piece of cake, I thought (pun intended). Reality hit a few weeks later, and I have since enlisted my mother to make the cake instead. She does have a bit of a habit of not following instructions, so we'll see how it actually turns out. I kid, Mom! I'm sure it'll be fantastic. Or at least edible. ;c )

DIY Rainbow Petal Cake  |  by Kate Wagner  |  TheCakeBlog.com
Instructions on how to make this magnificent cake here.

Once I saw that gorgeous cake, I knew that this party needed to consist of an explosion of colors. But how does one create an entire party just using color? THIS is how. As soon as I stumbled upon this beautiful rainbow party theme, I knew it was the answer. And how adorable is that title? Whimsical Backyard Rainbow Party? Uh, yes please! I immediately envisioned myself sitting in my backyard on a beautiful 75 degree day, drinking a mimosa while my daughter calmly sat opening her gifts as her beautiful blonde curls bounced softly in the air. Is any of that actually going to happen? Probably not, but a girl can dream.

Whimsical Backyard Rainbow First Birthday Party
Details regarding this fabulously crafted party can be found here.

Something that most definitely will be happening at this party is sweets! Alongside the petal cake, our guests will indulge on cupcakes, chocolate covered pretzels, rice krispy treats, and cake batter truffles, each covered in rainbow sprinkles. And for a sweet yet healthier option, we will also be serving some scrumptious rainbow fruit skewers. Our girl loves fruit, so these are a must! While she frequently consumes natural sugars, Taylor has had very little in the form of processed sugar. So, I cannot wait to see her reaction when she plows into her smash cake. I'm sure she'll love it as much as her momma does!

Rainbow fruit skewers - grapes, blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries
These skewers and other adorable rainbow party ideas can be found here.

So there we have it, a theme is in place, the menu is set, and I have spent every weekend over the past month making pinwheels, tissue garland, and hand-cut banners for this shindig. It's quite possible our backyard will look like a rainbow threw up all over it, but at least her party will be one of a kind!


Below are a few outtakes from the photo shoot we had in our backyard when designing her party invitations. She was fascinated by the balloons, and (like everything else she encounters) she wanted to put them directly in her mouth. So even if my party plans go south, at least she'll enjoy the balloons!



To view my entire Pinterest board for this event, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment