Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Long Live Summer

The anticipation of fall is officially upon us. Everywhere I look, people are posting things about sweaters and boots, commenting on how they can't wait for cooler temps, and announcing that pumpkin spice mania is slowly creeping into the stores. Usually, I would be right beside these people, anxiously awaiting that first PSL and counting down the days until I can break out my collection of scarves, but not this year. This year I am clinging on to summer for as long as possible. Why? Because saying goodbye to summer means that another season of my baby's life has come to an end, and I am just not ready for it. Not at all. This summer has been the best one to date. Taylor loves swimming and being outside for hours on end, getting her indoors at the end of the day is the ultimate struggle, plus this has been our first summer with little Logan. Life is perfect right now and I don't want it to end, so I'm holding on to summer for as long as I possibly can.


This past weekend was especially top notch. We didn't do anything particularly fun or out of the ordinary (except attend a birthday party for the coolest 6 year old ever), but it was exceptional nonetheless. The kind that makes you wish that summer would linger on forever and hope that someone will finally implement those 3 day workweeks that everyone seems to be in favor of. If we had it my way, we'd all have summers off just like when we were kids (with pay, of course). Summers are meant for pool days, trips to amusement parks, and long afternoon naps, not board rooms and budget meetings. Anyone else with me?!




But enough about that, back to our weekend. It was full of shopping, dinner at our favorite kid-friendly joint, skipping baths, and staying up too late. The weather wasn't smoldering hot for once (which meant we could actually stand to be outside without being soaked in sweat), so we made a point to spend as much time outdoors as possible. We loaded the kids into the double stroller and hiked around the neighborhood and made our way to a couple of different parks in town to run off some of that never-ending 2 year old energy. You know what I'm talking about. What I wouldn't give to bottle that stuff up and sell it on eBay. Surely I could afford to take summers off then!



We pushed our luck on naps both days, the first day was fine and the next Taylor completely lost her marbles at the grocery store (lesson learned). Logan napped for hours on end while the tot and I ate leftover birthday cake and watched Tangled on repeat. We fed Logan sweet potatoes for the first time and laughed as he giggled nonstop throughout dinner, just happy to be included in our nightly routine. Both kids were as happy as could be all weekend (minus our little mishap at the grocery store) which made things that much sweeter. Isn't it crazy how a toddler's mood can make all the difference in the world?


There were fits of laughter, hugs and smooches, and lots of snuggles. Weekends like that fill my bucket to the brim, a necessity after a long and crazy work week. I wish I could bottle up this moment in time and keep it forever. Life is just that good.


No comments:

Post a Comment