Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Holidays

As we are rapidly approaching Taylor's six month birthday (yes, you read that correctly, six months already),  I thought it necessary to recount the many special events that she has already encountered in her short lifetime. Our daughter was born four days after my 29th birthday (mine falling on September 23rd and hers falling on September 27th). Personally, I have always loved having a fall birthday. It's far enough away from the other holidays that you feel like you have your own special day, the weather is typically ideal, and it falls within the school year so you're able to have a party at school (unlike those unlucky summer birthday people). However, when the doctor officially announced an anticipated October 1 due date, I had mixed emotions. I was happy that our child would get to enjoy the perks of a fall birthday, but I was also somewhat distraught that she may actually arrive ON my birthday. Now, I know what you're thinking, "What could possibly be a greater gift?!" And while that sentiment is true, you must know that I am an extreme lover of birthdays (mine in particular), and the thought of having to share mine made me somewhat sad. I have had this one special day (who am I kidding? I celebrate all month long...) all to myself for 29 years and then *poof* like that it could be taken from me? I mean, I get that it would always be my birthday, but we all know that once a baby comes along the parent's lime light is gone forever. That part, I'm okay with. But not on my birthday. No, sir. That I will not share.

So, fast forward 9 months and a stubbornly breech baby changed everything. Upon electing to have a C-section on Friday, September 27, 2013, all birthday faith was immediately restored. And this little bundle of magic came into our lives and changed our world forever...


That day marked her very first and, in my opinion, most important holiday celebration! And the absolute BEST part about having a September birthday is that it begins the start of a long string of other fun and festive holidays! 

Just after Taylor's one month birthday came Halloween. As you can tell, she was obviously less than impressed with her glow-in-the-dark skeleton costume (which was one of the few costumes we could find that would actually fit the tiniest 7 lb. baby you've ever seen). We were very lucky that my husband's family just happened to be in town and was able to share this holiday with us!



Her two month birthday brought Thanksgiving, and we experienced our first overnight trip to Granny & Papa's house (which included bringing 3/4 of our house with us). Babies, although such tiny creatures, need a lot of junk in order to get by. And it turns out all of my worrying and over planning were for nothing as she was A-mazing and slept a solid 8 hours each night we were there!



A few weeks later, prior to Taylor's three month birthday, we lost my grandfather to Alzheimer's which made Christmas a rough holiday for everyone. Luckily, Taylor was a dream baby through it all and even managed to provide some relief during those difficult days. It's bittersweet that we will always associate her first Christmas with the passing of her great-grandfather, but we managed to make the best out of an unfortunate situation and it's safe to say she still had a memorable occasion.



Shortly thereafter, we rung in the New Year - a quiet night at home, just the three of us. This was a first for the hubby and I as we typically get all dressed up, go out with friends, and drink ourselves silly until the wee hours of the morning. But it turns out that a night at home with a new baby can be just as entertaining...and much cheaper.



At four and a half months old, Taylor celebrated Valentine's Day by giving homemade valentines to her friends at daycare and rolling in her first complete circle! The weekend also brought a visit from Granny & Papa which meant a much needed date night for the hubby and I, followed by the worst hangover I've had since NYE 2012 and proof that we definitely cannot party like we used to.



Then, yesterday, at five and a half months, I finally dropped the ball. I woke up yesterday morning recovering from a long weekend of traveling solo with the babe and anticipating a hot mess of a work day (which it was) and completely blanked on St. Patrick's Day. All day long, I anticipated how I would make up for my complete-and-utter brain fart until I had to work late. But, being the sweet man that he is, the hubs picked up Taylor from daycare, rushed her home, threw on her special outfit, and snapped a few pics for me. Thankfully, she is none the wiser.



So, as you can see, we have constantly been celebrating something since our little babe arrived, and that has made the past six months even more special. Words cannot express how much I love this girl, and I'm so thankful for all of the wonderful memories she has given us thus far. I just hope she can forgive me for the numerous costume changes and countless antics we have displayed in order to capture these photos. This child does not hold a future in modeling...

1 comment:

  1. She's changed so much in 6 months. I love the holiday celebration pictures. I need some of those hanging on my wall.

    ReplyDelete