Thursday, May 1, 2014

For My Friend

I have gone back and forth for weeks debating whether or not to write this post. Although I thoroughly enjoy writing and sharing my thoughts through this blog, I am a very private person when it comes to those I hold closest to me. Recently I have decided that I need to start expressing my feelings and all of the pent up frustrations I have regarding a very dear friend of mine who has been fighting a most courageous battle. For privacy's sake, I will not disclose any names or in-depth details, but for those of you who know me personally, I'm sure you will put the pieces together on your own.

This beautiful lady and I have been friends for nearly a decade and, for many of those years, we spent nearly every day together. We were privileged to find each other when we needed each other the most. We were both young, in college, and looking for our purpose in life. But mostly, we just wanted to have fun and enjoy our youth while it lasted. She is one of the most genuine, caring, loving, selfless individuals that I have ever known, and I cannot even begin to count the times that she has been there for me when no one else was. We have shared laughter, tears, and some of the most random and memorable nights that I will never forget. If anyone has helped define the woman I am today, it is her.

So you can imagine the complete and utter shock that occurred whenever I learned that this friend of mine was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. The world spun in circles as I tried to grasp the thought of my perfectly healthy, happy friend being infected with this life-threatening disease. A list of questions a mile long ran through my mind, but the only one I could focus on was: why?!

Shortly after diagnosis, my friend underwent surgery and then began radiation and chemo treatments. An MRI the following year was hopeful as it suggested that the tumor had stopped spreading. We were positive that she was going to beat this thing. After all, no one is stronger (or more stubborn) than our girl!

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I was sitting at my mom's house watching my sweet daughter laughing and playing on the floor, when my phone rang. I looked down to see my friend's mother calling. I knew right away this would not be good news. The tumor had multiplied and spread. Treatment was no longer working. Hospice was being called to make her comfortable. It was uncertain as to how much longer she would live.

Heartache.

Pain.

Tears.

I knew I needed to see my friend.

At present day, she is still with us, and she still retains her undeniable whit and charm. She smiles every time Taylor and I walk through her front door, and she puts on a brave face even though I know she is hurting. It pains me to see my friend suffer. It pains me to watch her lie there unable to control her body, but it helps to know that mentally she is still intact. I pray for her daily. I ask God to end her suffering, to bring her peace, and to let her know how loved she is by us all. But still, my heart aches. I miss my friend, and I am sad for the future that she may likely never have. But I will always have our memories, and I will always keep her in my heart. I will always be thankful for everything she has taught me - and continues to teach me - even now.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie this is beautiful. I love her so much and no one deserves this less. Life sucks. It's unfair. It can be ugly and brutal. I've had many conversations with God about WHY He would let someone like her suffer. Aren't there plenty of awful people out there that no one would miss?? But I realized, and I think this was Him answering, that without suffering there would be no compassion. No reason to be thankful for good days without sickness. No reason to tell people we love, because, well, they will surely be there tomorrow. It still doesn't make sense. And I'm still angry at Him. But mostly, I'm angry at myself. I've let time slip by...time I could have spent with you two. Time I could have used to tell you both how much I love you and miss you and appreciate all the times you were there for me. I made sure I told her this the other day when I visited. I thanked her for all those times she kicked me in the butt when I needed it, for taking me in when I hit rock bottom, for loving me when I was not easy to love. Not many people stick around when their friends go through times like those, but she did. I should have told her every day how much she helped me become the person I am today (you, too). But I thought I had all the time in the world. And that is something I'll be working to forgive myself for. I know she will be okay. God will wrap his arms around her and welcome her home one of these days. And while that will be a hard day for us here on earth, it will finally be the end of her suffering. She'll be in a place more beautiful than any of us can imagine. With God. What an amazing thought. And I know I will never take people for granted again, as I have with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute by both of you. I too love her and will miss that beautiful smile when Heaven receives her and she gets her robe and crown. God bless all who have came to know and love her and especially those of you whom have been extra close to her.

    ReplyDelete