Wednesday, October 1, 2014

12 Month Update

Holy crap, we made it a year. Our house is still standing, the child is alive and healthy, and Jake and I are able to function on a daily basis. It has been the hardest yet most rewarding year of my life. Seriously, somebody give me a medal (or at least a glittery sticker).



I am so proud to announce that our tot is officially a walker! She has gradually been taking steps over the past month but now she is cruising all over. And now that she is capable, walking has become her sole method of transportation (with the exception of her wheely pig which she absolutely loves). The ability to stand upright and move about has made her so much happier. She was getting very frustrated only being able to take a step or two at a time and then falling over shortly after. But now, she is nice and sturdy and even able to zoom across the room at times! Her favorite new game is running around the room, patting her belly and laughing profusely. It is hilarious. I have no idea why, but it makes her extremely happy!




Now that she is the ripe age of one, she has started to outgrow most of her baby toys so it was was exciting to see her reactions to the new, big girl toys she received for her birthday. Since her party, she has spent every waking minute at home learning and examining her new toys. And while she thoroughly enjoys all of the musical/light up toys she received, she prefers to consume herself in puzzles and books. She is enamored with all of the different shapes and can place most of them into their appropriate cut outs with ease. Our girl is a smart little cookie who never misses a beat. She will concentrate on something until she has mastered it. She reminds me so much of her daddy in this way - smart and diligent yet wild and spontaneous at the same time. You just never know what she's going to do next!





As all big kids must do, we decided it was time for Taylor to get rid of the bottle and make the switch from formula to whole milk. After a lot of discussion and research, we finally just decided to put some milk in a cup and see how she responded. I bought new sippy cups for the big event (thinking they would excite and distract her from the new taste) but, to my amazement, she threw back the cup and chugged the entire thing in one breath. I guess I was expecting some sort of reaction regarding the different taste or the consistency, but she acted as if she had been drinking it her entire life. So anti-climactic. Gotta admit, I was a little disappointed. What wasn't disappointing was packing up all of her bottles this weekend and throwing away the last empty container of formula. I am SO happy to have that expense out of our monthly budget! With those transitions crossed off our list, I spent some time yesterday cleaning out the cupboards and preparing our kitchen for life with a toddler. Finally, one aspect of our baby getting older that I am okay with!



Along with rearranging the kitchen, I also spent a large part of my afternoon reorganizing Tay's closet. She has outgrown all of her 12 month clothes and has been easing her way into 18 month pieces every day now. Infant and toddler clothing are quite possibly the most confusing thing ever, because sizing seems to runs different for every brand. While she may fit into 12 month pants from one brand, she can barely squeeze 18 months in another. That meant I had to try on every single article of clothing she received for her birthday. And if you read this post, you should know that it was not an easy task. Our living room probably looked like something off Hoarders mixed in with a little WWE.  Clothes were flung every where while I was trying to pin down our one year old. Needless to say, about halfway through the pile I gave up. She's younger, has more energy, and is much more flexible that I am. Being 30 is hard.



This new stage is so incredibly fun. I love watching her interact with everything she comes into contact with. Her little mind is so amazing, always soaking up everything around her. Our girl loves people, especially other kids. She is happiest when she is outside running and playing, and now that it has cooled off we don't mind spending more time outdoors with her. She is on the go continuously, only slowing down to eat and sleep. Our little bundle of energy that constantly keeps Jake and I on our toes! Life is so good right now. I, too, just want to soak it all in.



1 comment:

  1. Yay! She's such a smartie, Jamie! And her smiles make me so happy. I cannot for the life of me decide who she looks more like!

    ReplyDelete