Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Letter to Taylor

I have been meaning to sit down and write a letter to Taylor while she is still little, because before I know it time will elude me and she will be flirting with boys, taking her driver's test and graduating from high school. And as certain as it is that she will be as wild and rebellious as both her father and I were during our teenage years, I want to write this while our baby girl is still young and vulnerable, experiencing life with the innocence that only children have. Every day is a new adventure for her, and I hope that she never loses the ability to view the world through those rose colored glasses.

 
My sweet Taylor Tot,

As cliche as it sounds, the day you were born was the best day of my life. Not only was it the start of your brand new life, but it was also the start of a new life for your daddy and I. You see, while we were so completely in love and mindful of each other, we were just drifters wandering along through life doing as we pleased. The moment you breathed your first breath all of that changed. You brought purpose into our lives and meaning into our actions. Since your arrival, I have laughed harder and worried more than I ever thought possible. Being a mother opens the door to a wide range of emotions, some that I never even knew existed until I met you. And the longer I feel it the more I believe that a mother's love really is the most powerful thing in the world.

As you continue to grow and your personality develops, I realize that you are the perfect combination of your daddy and I. While you physically resemble him more, you have attributes of each of us within every move you make. The fact that you habitually point your toes or stick your thumb through your pointer and middle finger when you are concentrating prove that you are an extension of me. It's eye opening to realize your own quirks by seeing another person do them, and it brings tears to my eyes because I know you have developed those traits solely from being a part of me. A part of me that no one else will never know or understand, because at one point in time you and I were one.

Since you were old enough to sit, you have loved to read and even now it continues to be your favorite activity. You love taking things apart and figuring out how to put them back together (a trait that comes directly from your father). Your mind is constantly working and your curiosity often gets the best of you. Everyone who has the pleasure of knowing you knows just how intelligent you are, and some days I wonder what we did to deserve a child as special as you. I can only imagine the goals you will set for yourself and the achievements you will accomplish, for the world is your oyster and you can do anything you set your mind to.

While you're inquisitive in nature and enjoy your alone time, you are most definitely a wild child. You love to run and explore and are completely fearless when it comes to trying new things. If you fall down or get hurt, it isn't long before you're right back up attempting to conquer whatever it is that knocked you down. Your intensity and passion for everything you do simultaneously gets you into trouble and makes us fall in love with you. You are happy and silly, never shying away from a chance to sing or dance no matter where you may be. You love to be the center of attention but you shine most when it's just the three of us. I hope that you always retain that confidence and playfulness, because both are hard to come by and even harder to maintain the older that you become.

As you get older and venture out into the world on your own your father and I won't always be there to protect you, but we will love and support you no matter what. I hope that the values we instill in you will help you to make smart choices and remind you to always be considerate of others. I pray that you come to know our Lord and Savior and that you turn to him in times of trouble rather than opting for a destructive path. The world that we live in is ever changing so it's hard for me to imagine what the future may hold for you, but I hope that you will be strong and learn to stand on your own two feet. It is important to lean on others for help at times, but it is also important to be independent and take care of yourself. Love hard, fight fair, and never settle for less than you deserve. 

Your daddy and I love you very much and are so thankful to be your parents. You came into this world when we needed you most and made our family whole. You are light and laughter, playfulness and love. You are everything that is good and right in this world, and I know that you will do magnificent things in this life. I'm just thankful I get to be along for the ride.

With all the love in the world,

Momma


No comments:

Post a Comment