Tuesday, February 16, 2016

An Ode to Jake

With Valentine's Day come and gone, I thought it only appropriate to write a little something about the man in my life who went above and beyond all week to make me feel special while my pregnant self did nothing for him in return. Wife fail, I know. Even though I've promised to make it up to him on Father's Day/his birthday/anytime I'm not 9 months pregnant, I thought I would express my feelings for him the best way that I know how, through words. And what better way to do that than by making a list of the top 10 things I love most about my Jakeeb?


1. He's a man's man. Nothing is sexier than knowing your guy can scoop you up in his arms and save the day, if needed. I know I comment a lot on the massive size of my husband, but in reality I love it. I love that he towers over me and has broad shoulders and callouses on his hands. I love that he isn't afraid to get dirty or spend an entire day working himself to the bone. I was raised by a man who literally broke his back to make a living for his family and has never failed to help someone in need. I'm extremely thankful our children will grow up with a father like that as well.

2. He can fix things. Jake's handyman skills never displayed themselves until we moved into our first rental house where he ended up fixing one random thing after another. We like to refer to that rental as our "trial house," because a lot of lessons were learned (mostly on what not to do). Within the first year of purchasing the house we live in now, he installed new toilets and faucets in the bathrooms, painted every door and piece of trim, and installed new light fixtures in every room. When we decided to completely overhaul our kitchen two years ago he did the majority of the demo and installation, and just last fall he drew the plans and constructed Taylor's bed even though he had never built a piece of furniture in his life. Seriously, the guy is amazing. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything he can't accomplish once he sets his mind to it.

3. He knows his way around an engine. Growing up, Jake watched his dad tinker on one Volkswagen after another and thankfully he picked up a few things. He's quick to change a bulb/spark plug as soon as it goes out, and he's always concerned that our vehicles are safe and running efficiently (after all, we do have precious cargo to worry about). And since purchasing his dream truck back in 2012, he has been very particular about the condition and overall appearance of his prized possession. I secretly love that he takes such good care of something he worked so hard to obtain, but that doesn't mean I don't give him flack for having an unlimited car wash membership which he uses at least once a week. #heisthatguy

4. He is incredibly motivated. Although the guy partied his way through high school and has no college education, he is one of the smartest and most driven people that I know. He took an entry level position at his current place of employment and has worked tirelessly to earn every promotion he has received. He is constantly searching for ways to better himself, his employees, and his company even if it requires sacrificing time away from his family and friends to do so. He never shies away from a challenge and has embraced every opportunity that leadership has provided to him. He works so incredibly hard to provide for his family while continuing to expand his professional role in a thriving industry. Simply put, he is a force to be reckoned with.

5. The man can cook. And better than I can, might I add. While we have always taken turns preparing meals, it's safe to say that Jake has made more than his fair share over the course of our relationship. He is always willing to try something new and isn't afraid to admit his failure if it turns out less than desirable. Plus, he will eat anything that I make and offer a compliment no matter how awful it may be (and trust, there have been plenty of failures on my end). Plus, he can whip up my great-grandma Bernice's cherry cream pie as good (or better) than any woman in my family. Now that is sexy.

6. He does housework. I do the bulk of the indoor chores while he takes care of the outdoor chores (as if he'd ever let me touch his precious grass), but it's a tag team effort when it comes to the nightly dinner and bath time routine. He loves to mow the grass and takes great pride in his yard, something his Gigi would be oh so proud of! His only downfall lies in the messiness of our garage but eventually the clutter becomes too much even for him and he spends a weekend reorganizing it. And even though we each do our own personal laundry (as previously noted here), we both tackle the kids' laundry, towels, and bed sheets. Long story short, he takes a giant load off my already full plate, and I absolutely love him for it. Because let's face it, no one enjoys doing laundry.

7. His sewing game is on point. One thing is for certain, his mom raised him to be independent in every sense of the word, and while he is a man's man through and through I'm fairly certain he can sew on a button better than I can. In fact, this past weekend he whip stitched a hole in our couch cushion like it was nothing. While his hands are hard and calloused, they are also gentle and steady. He never ceases to amaze me with his capabilities.

8. He's the life of the party. And anyone who's ever hung out with the guy will say the same. If the energy is lacking, he's quick to whip out his dance moves, buy a round of shots, or engage everyone in a round of "Jake's Game of Fun." He can't stand for someone to be left out and will go to great lengths to ensure that everyone has a good time. Fortunately, this is a trait that Jake and I have in common, so you can imagine how ridiculous things used to get in our early 20's. And even though we're old now and rarely go out due to the kids, we still know how to have a good time when it counts.

9. The guy makes me laugh. Rarely will I actually admit this but Jake is genuinely funny, and I love that we can still make each other laugh no matter how stressful life gets or how shitty our day has been. And every now and then we end up in a complete spiral where one of us starts laughing and then the other laughs because the first person is laughing and the vicious cycle continues until you're both laying on the floor crying from laughing so hard. This happened just last week over a simple game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, which is obviously how we determine who is going to the dishes and who is going to give Taylor a bath. Both of us kept throwing the same sign every. single. time. (A clear indication we know each other entirely too well).  Eventually, I let him win because I had to pee so bad that I couldn't stand it any longer. Note to self: pregnant ladies shouldn't test their bladders in intense laughing situations. The bladder will always win.

10. His family is everything. While he's rugged and outdoors-y and can chug beer with the best of them, he is also incredibly loving and sensitive. He has always had a soft spot for me, but his love for Taylor is the purest and sweetest thing I have ever witnessed. He is incredibly patient with her and even when he gets frustrated, one look into her big blue eyes makes all of his anger melt away. It's clear just how wrapped he is around her little finger through every game of dress up and Ring Around the Rosie he endures for her. He is the absolute best dad, and I cannot wait for him to teach our children everything he knows.


Happy belated Valentine's Day, babe. We love you more than you'll ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment