Monday, March 7, 2016

Introducing Logan Thomas Eldredge

It brings me great excitement to introduce the newest member of our family, Logan Thomas Eldredge. Logan made his grand entrance into the world on Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 7:47 AM, weighing 7 lbs 12.5 oz and measuring 20" long. He is the sweetest, cuddliest baby ever and we couldn't possibly love him more!


After much debate and a lack of overall progress, we decided to go ahead with our scheduled C section on March 3rd. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM where I was admitted, monitored, and pumped full of saline. I walked into the OR at 7:28 AM and Logan was born less than 20 minutes later at 7:47 AM. The procedure was almost identical to when I had Taylor, and once the epidural was administered everything happened so quickly! I remember Jake coming in dressed in a bunny suit, and the next thing I knew Logan was crying and being placed on my chest. Shortly after, he and Jake were whisked away to the newborn nursery while the doctors finished closing me up. Due to scar tissue from my previous C section, my doctor decided to put a wound vac over my incision and, aside from having to tote the clutch-size vac around at all times, it has been a huge help in the healing process. Thankfully, I only have to wear it for 7 days so we'll be parting ways later this week.



As soon as surgery was finished, I was taken back to my Labor & Delivery room to recover while Logan remained in the nursery. This part of the day is all pretty blurry due to the vast amount of pain meds and exhaustion from not sleeping the night before. Later that afternoon, we were moved to a nice, quiet room on the Post Partum unit. I was worried that recovery would be much worse this time around, but with the help of the wound vac, an excellent nursing staff, and knowing what to expect ahead of time, recovery has actually been much easier. I learned from my experience with Taylor that it's important to take pain medications as scheduled instead of as needed, take advantage of the nursery at night, and just how important it is to recover in the hospital rather than at home. When Taylor was born, we were so insistent on keeping her with us at all times that neither of us slept the entire time during our stay, whereas Logan spent every night in the nursery so that we could both get some sleep. Since he is breastfed, they still brought him to our room every 2-3 hours to nurse, but we were able to rest between feedings without waking every time he made a peep. With Taylor, we only stayed two nights and left on the third day; however, with Logan we decided to stay the recommended three nights and left late in the afternoon on the fourth day. It's amazing how much you learn from the first child to the next, and I'm already starting to feel like myself again.




As for Taylor, she is absolutely loving her little brother! She has embraced the role of big sister from day one, and I'm so sad that I don't have her initial reaction to meeting Logan on video - it was priceless! She is constantly asking to "hold it" and is sure to tell us when he is "pying" (crying). She's quick to let everyone know that he is her brother, and she tells him at least 20 times a day that she loves him. We have tried to include her in everything baby-related from having her throw away diapers to giving him his binky to rubbing his feet while he's nursing. So far, she has handled the adjustment remarkably well and has made this whole transition much easier than we ever could've expected.




Overall, life right now is pretty spectacular. Bringing home a new baby always has its ups and downs and acclimating to a new schedule is hard on everyone, but I think we are handling it quite well. Logan is such a good baby. He has taken to nursing exceptionally well, has unbelievably healthy bowels, only cries when he is hungry, and loves to snuggle. He is the perfect addition to our family, and we already can't imagine life without him. Jake and I are so blessed to have such beautiful, healthy children, and I thank the Lord every day for allowing me to be their momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment