Friday, November 20, 2015

Counting Our Blessings

I have gone back and forth for months on whether or not to write about this since it's so near and dear to my heart and effects those I love the most, but then I realized that God brought us to it (and more importantly, he brought us through it), so there's really no reason not to.

As many of you know, my family encountered a dark time earlier this year when my dad suffered a massive heart attack that nearly took his life. My father spent seven days in a comatose state, which is an excruciatingly long time to sit by someone's side, hoping and pray they will wake up and resemble even a fraction of the person you once knew. My father spent two long weeks in the ICU where we are certain God worked one miracle after another. I will never forget the flood of emotions that filled our family throughout those 14 days. We were told he may never wake up. We were told he may not have brain function if he did. We were told to prepare for the worst. Eventually, he did wake up - it was a long, slow, painful process to watch but the end result was worth every tear that was shed. And little by little, day by day, he progressed and eventually was released to a rehab facility where he continued to blow everyone away with his progress. Three weeks after the worst day of our lives, he returned home and we were all able to breathe again.


Throughout it all, my mother, sister, and I never left his side as we relied on friends and family to manage our homes and our five small children (because as we learned, the world does not stop no matter how bad you want it to). Even now as Dad continues his road to recovery, it is truly amazing to see the overwhelming out pour of love and support from our family, friends, and the community that I grew up in. The generosity that has been shown to our family is something that we will never forget and will forever be grateful for. So to each of you who sent a card or said a prayer, thank you. Thank you so, so much.

Since Dad has returned home, family has remained our top priority, and we are all about soaking up every minute of family time that we can get. If the past four months have taught me anything, it's that family is and always will be the most important thing in life, second only to God who has renewed each of our spirits with his healing power. Life is a funny thing, always throwing curve balls when you least expect them. I'm just thankful that we're all still together, happy, healthy, and so very appreciative of all of life's blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment