Thursday, January 14, 2016

Snow Days

Alternatively titled "Being confined indoors with a 2 year old for 48 hours." 

Okay, so we weren't actually confined to our house, but with Jake out of town for work and a few inches of snowfall Saturday morning I made the executive decision that the tot and I would not be going anywhere all weekend. Even though we live in an area of the country that sees snow every winter, people tend to freak out and drive like maniacs as soon as the first snowflake falls. So, I did what any sane pregnant woman would do and hibernated in our home until Monday morning. And let me just say, we had a blast.

Saturday morning Taylor was up bright and early because it was Saturday. She came bounding into my room just before the sun came up requesting milk and "Doc McStuffins" to which I happily obliged. Doc kept her content until it was time to roll out of bed and make breakfast then start on my first of seven loads of laundry. Apparently laundry doesn't care about snow days.


After watching "The Little Mermaid" for the first time that day, we engrossed ourselves in puzzles, books, and a tea party until lunchtime. Tay was wiped so I put her down for an early nap while I folded baby clothes and reminisced about my first baby being that little. Three glorious hours later, the tot awoke and immediately began pulling every article of clothing out of her dresser. I walked in to find her little booty shoved into not one, not two, but three of last year's swimsuits complete with a sunhat and sunglasses. As soon as she saw me, she smiled and asked if she could go outside and play. When I told her no, she threw a fit and then ran to put on her snow boots (as if that was the only thing missing from her outfit).



We played dress up a while longer, pulling on one princess dress after another, until I finally talked Taylor into putting on her real snow gear and going outside to play. Approximately 25 minutes later, after I somehow managed to shove my pregnant self into my cold gear, we waddled outside to build a snowman. That idea quickly faded as Taylor began running around the yard like a crazy person, darting in and out of the bushes and stopping only to pull her gloves back on. Toddlers and mittens are a funny combination. This lasted about 5 minutes in total. The other 5 minutes we were outside were spent attempting to pick up rocks that were frozen solid. Once she realized she wasn't getting anywhere, it was time to go in. We stripped off our layers, put on some warm jammies, and watched "The Little Mermaid" again before bed.




The next morning was another slow start that eventually led to warm cinnamon rolls, hot coffee, and some light cleaning. Taylor pushed her toy vaccum into my ankles while I pushed our real vaccum throughout each room of the house. Once the floors were clean, Taylor decided to drag out her brother's new bathtub and give each of her babies a bath. She must have realized how much work bath time can be for a momma, because eventually she threw the babies aside and lay back in the bathtub with her book to relax. And then she read me a few stories, each beginning with "Once a time..."


After another three hour nap, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing dress up in Taylor's room. I just love how girly she is becoming, taking care of her babies, cooking in her kitchen, and throwing on a princess dress and jewels any chance she gets. Her imagination runs wild, and we are constantly laughing at the random things that come out of her mouth. I have no doubt that her brother will have a hard time keeping up, but she has made it very clear that she is ready for him to get here and "play wis me" already. Poor fella, I sure hope he likes high heels and bracelets! ;c )
 


No comments:

Post a Comment