Friday, June 20, 2014

Queen of Reviews

So, I started writing this post about a week ago (I'll randomly think of topics, start extremely rough drafts, and then complete the rest of the content later), but this morning I stumbled upon a message from a friend who came across a review I had written about a product (a diaper bag, which I loooooove, to be exact). Too funny. And too coincidental. So here I am, finalizing this post, because it's obviously what I should be writing about today. Thanks for the motivation, Jena!

Anyhoo, onto the actual content...

I love reviews. Whoever decided to allow people the ability to voice their opinions about the products they have purchased is a genius. And it has made my life so much easier.

You see, I am one of those people that has to read the reviews before I can buy a product. I don't know why. I guess I think it will help me make a better informed decision. In reality, I probably just need other people to tell me that I'm not wasting my money. Regardless, it's a habit that I've fallen into.

I should note that there an abundance of reviews out there that simply don't count. I'm talking about the people who whine about how long it took to put something together or how their shirt shrank when they dried it (even though the tag said not to) or how they ordered a blue rug when they really wanted white. I immediately identify these folks as idiots and their opinions are discarded. Because, let's face it, there are always going to be people who find something to complain about.

But I'm looking for real. I need to know that this diaper bag that I'm spending a small fortune on isn't going to crap out on me in three months. Because I certainly don't have the time nor money to go out and buy a new one if it does.

I need facts.

How's the quality? 
Is it durable? 
Does it hold up well after washing?

I need more info than just the two sentences the manufacturer has decided to supply me with (which never seems to be enough). And, I've found that, more times than not, the people won't steer me wrong.

This habit of mine really took flight when I began registering for baby products. Let me tell you, that can be a very overwhelming task (especially to someone who's completely foreign to all things baby). But I've learned that there are so many other mommas out there (just like myself) who rely on the opinions of others before making their purchases. It's the only way to survive, because Lord knows I don't have the time or energy to research each and every one of these products on my own. And I'm not too keen on wasting my money or returning things to the store. I mean, why is it so hard for stores to understand that people either lose gift receipts or never get them in the first place? And more so, do they actually think it's possible that I held onto the receipt during the course of the eight months that it took for me to return the item? Sorry, lady, but I'm not that on top of my game. The 'Game of Returns' always ends the same. I get store credit and the hubby finds something dumb to spend it on.

In order to "pay it forward" or "pass the buck" (or whatever saying you'd like to insert here), I've started leaving a review for nearly every online purchase I make, which amounts to about 75% of all of my purchases. (I mean, why put on pants and go to the store when you can order the same thing online and get it with free shipping in two days? Thank you, Amazon Prime. Finally, a company who understands me.)

And my reviewing isn't limited to just baby items. I review everything - clothes, shoes, home decor, cleaning products, toiletries, etc., etc., etc. I just feel that people should know what they're getting into before spending their hard earned money on something.

Perhaps I should become a professional reviewer.

Wait. Is that even a real thing?

Maybe I'll Google it later.

So, how do you feel about reviews? Do you ever read them or rely on them before making a purchase? Am I the only crazy lady out there scouring the review section and clinging to strangers' opinions?

Probably.

But at least I won't have to stand at that darn Customer Service counter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment